[Paraview] Attach arrows onto streamlines/stream tubes more smoothly
Liang Wang
2017-03-15 21:40:54 UTC
By using the arrow glyph filter on the lines/tubes, the arrows are often
slightly dislocated (and thus slightly misaligned) from the tubes
themselves (see the attached image).

In comparison, I am trying to get images like

Logically, the arrows could have been an attribute of the
streamlines/stream tubes?
Andy Bauer
2017-03-15 21:50:33 UTC

How does it look if you Glyph the streamlines themselves instead of the
tubes?
In comparison, I am trying to get images like http://www.tecplot.com/wp-
content/uploads/2016/01/fstream.jpg or https://i.stack.imgur.com/z8nkm.png
Liang Wang
2017-03-15 21:59:07 UTC
Hi Andy,

The results are similar if I apply glyph on streamlines directly (see the
attached image).

I guess the difficulty part is that arrow heads are not easily centered on
lines/tubes?
Hi,
Andy Bauer
2017-03-15 22:16:06 UTC
I think it is because you have set the Shaft radius to 0. The start of the
arrow doesn't appear because of this and I'm suspecting that the start of
the arrow is centered along the streamline. Maybe try using using either a
non-zero value for the Shaft radius that is bigger than the Tube radius or
use the Cone glyph type instead.
Post by Liang Wang
Hi Andy,
The results are similar if I apply glyph on streamlines directly (see the
attached image).
I guess the difficulty part is that arrow heads are not easily centered on
lines/tubes?
Hi,
Utkarsh Ayachit
Utkarsh Ayachit
2017-03-16 00:14:20 UTC
Liang Wang
2017-03-16 02:20:09 UTC
Indeed, using Cone glyph gives much better results, and tweaking by
"Stride" is very helpful!

Thank you, Andy and Utkarsh.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit <
Post by Utkarsh Ayachit
To control spacing of the glyphs, on the Glyph's properties panel you
can change the Glyph Mode to "Every Nth Point" and then tweak the
"Stride".
Post by Utkarsh Ayachit
Post by Andy Bauer
Post by Liang Wang
attached image).
I guess the difficulty part is that arrow heads are not easily
centered on
Post by Utkarsh Ayachit
Post by Andy Bauer
Post by Liang Wang
lines/tubes?
Post by Andy Bauer
Hi,
How does it look if you Glyph the streamlines themselves instead of
the
Post by Utkarsh Ayachit
Post by Andy Bauer
Post by Liang Wang