Error opening EnSight case files in ParaView 1.4 and 1.6
Mary Draney
2004-09-03 17:41:44 UTC
I have an EnSight case file (with other associated .geo and .vel files)
which I'm trying to read into ParaView. The exact same file read into
ParaView 1.2 without problem, however, I get the following error in both
1.4 and 1.6:

There was a VTK Error in file: martink ParaView14 Vtk Io
vtkEnSightGoldBinaryReader.cxx (214)
Invalid part id; check that ByteOrder is set correctly.
There was a VTK Error in file: martink ParaView14 VTK Io
vtkEnSightReader.cxx (262)
error reading geometry file

The error message in 1.6 is the same except for "ParaView14" being
"ParaView16."

Since the file opens fine in the older version of ParaView and also opens
fine in EnSight, I suspect the problem is not with the file.

Has anyone experienced this before and have any thoughts on a solution or
workaround?

Thanks,
Mary
Amy Henderson
2004-09-07 09:43:07 UTC
Hi Mary,

Is it possible for you to send me a copy of your EnSight files? (The case
file and .geo file would be sufficient.) If you can't send the one you're
currently working with, do you have a sample data file that exhibits the
same behavior? If you can send such a data set, it will make it much easier
to track down what is going wrong with the EnSight reader.

- Amy
Mary Draney
2004-09-08 16:21:06 UTC
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hi Mary,

I spent some time yesterday looking into your problem with reading EnSight
files in versions 1.4 and 1.6 of ParaView. I was able to successfully read
your data set with both of these versions of ParaView after I selected
"little endian" from the "Byte order" menu on the Parameters tab for the
EnSight reader.

- Amy
Hi Amy,
Thanks for your reply. I absolutely can send you the case and .geo files
I'm working with - I also have 20 times steps each of corresponding
magnitude and velocity data - however, the case and .geo files are too
large to mail (they bounced back). Is there another way to get them to you
... do you have an ftp server I could put them on?
Thanks again!
- Mary
Post by Mary Draney
fine in EnSight, I suspect the problem is not with the file.
Has anyone experienced this before and have any thoughts on a
solution or
Post by Mary Draney
workaround?
Thanks,